Julie brings strong analytical skills, creative arguments and meticulous preparation to each of her cases. She seeks to tell each client’s story in a compelling way.
Julie has a fully bilingual civil litigation practice in commercial, public, and administrative law. She is passionate about the interplay between law and policy. Julie has appeared at all levels of court and before several administrative tribunals, and has experience in a variety of litigation matters, including shareholder disputes, insurance coverage disputes, defamation disputes, judicial reviews, appeals and interventions. Beyond litigation, Julie also advises clients on regulatory compliance matters.
Recently, Julie successfully represented a large independent internet service provider as a respondent in a complex multi-party appeal before the Federal Court of Appeal, alongside other Conway lawyers.
Julie joined Conway as an associate after clerking for the Honourable Jocelyne Gagné, judge of the Federal Court of Canada and now the Associate Chief Justice of that Court.
Outside the firm, Julie enjoys community volunteer work, competitive swimming, tennis, and puzzling over the Sunday crossword. Being from Edmonton, she remains an Oilers fan waiting for The Copper & Blue to return to their original glory.
- The Advocates’ Society
- AJEFO (L’Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario)
- County of Carleton Law Association
- The Advocacy Club
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Professional Achievement and Community Involvement
- 2020-Present | Board Member, Rockcliffe Lawn Tennis Club (2020 to present): initiate, organize and promote social events for the Club, and assist with Club projects.
- 2020 | Co-Instructor (French) of Civil Litigation Module for Programme de pratique de droit, Law Society of Ontario
- 2017-Present | Board Member, Young Professionals Advisory Board, Cornerstone Housing for Women (2017 to present): promoting awareness of issues relating to women and homelessness in Ottawa; initiate, organize and attend recreational and educational events for community and for Cornerstone residents.
- 2016-Present | Mentor, University of Ottawa Women’s Legal Mentorship Program (2016 to present): mentoring women law students at the University of Ottawa Faculty of Law.
- “The Canadian competition authority closes its investigation into an alleged conspiracy by large media companies”, co-authored with Gavin Murphy, Concurrences, January 7, 2021, online: https://www.concurrences.com/en/bulletin/news-issues/january-2021-en/the-canadian-competition-authority-closes-its-investigation-into-an-alleged
- “A Junior Litigator’s Essential Checklist for Insurance Coverage Disputes”, The Advocates’ Society, Keeping Tabs, January 2021, online: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/65261135/keeping-tabs-winter-2021/11
- “First wave of Ontario Court of Appeal rulings on anti-SLAPP legislation”, The Advocates’ Society, Keeping Tabs, October 2018, online: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/62178108/keeping-tabs-october-2018
- “Dealing with defamatory online business reviews in Ontario”, Ottawa Business Journal,
April 2, 2018, online: https://obj.ca/article/dealing-defamatory-online-business-reviews-ontario
- “Canada’s International Human Rights Obligations and the Tragedy of Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women”, November 2014, 1 Windsor Rev Legal Soc Issues—Digital Companion 32,
Vol. 1, Article 3, online: http://wrlsi.ca/2014/11/
- Parts I and II of this paper were reproduced in Slaw magazine for the Thursday Thinkpiece column on Feb. 5, 2015, online: http://www.slaw.ca/2015/02/05/thursday-thinkpiece-mouris-on-canadasinternational-human-rights-obligations-to-mmiw/