Abdalla can navigate the most challenging legal disputes. His intellectual prowess and meticulous research skills allow him to consider every angle in a complex matter. Abdalla is a zealous advocate, uncompromising in providing tailored legal services to meet each client’s needs.
Abdalla maintains a broad litigation practice with a special interest in complex disputes. He has experience in conducting trials, motions, judicial reviews, and appeals. Abdalla has advocated for clients before Ontario and federal courts in private disputes as well as public law litigation. He also frequently acts as agent before the Supreme Court of Canada and provides clients with advice on Supreme Court appeals.
Prior to joining Conway, he was an associate in the litigation department at a top national firm. Before that, Abdalla served as a law clerk to the Honourable Justice Sheilah Martin at the Supreme Court of Canada.
Abdalla attended Osgoode Hall Law School where he was the recipient of numerous awards and graduated as the Silver Medalist. During his legal studies, Abdalla served as a research assistant to several professors. He was also selected as a Dean’s Fellow to provide guidance to first-year students in two courses. Before law school, Abdalla attended the University of Ottawa where he earned a Bachelor of Social Science degree, graduating as the Gold Medalist and receiving a number of writing awards.
Outside of the office, Abdalla tries to keep up with his German Shepherd, Zenta, who seems to never run out of energy. Being visually impaired, Abdalla enjoys taking on random activities that require vision just for the challenge. He also enjoys spending time outdoors and with his family.
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates’ Society
Professional Achievement and Community Involvement
- 2023-2024 | Recognized by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- 2018 | Silver Medal, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2015-2018 | Honourable William G. C. Howland Award of Excellence, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2017 | Criminal Procedure Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Aird and Berlis LLP Prize for Academic Excellence, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Cassels Brock & Blackwell Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Clifton H. Lane Memorial Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Fasken Martineau Prize in Torts, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Folgler, Rubinoff LLP Prize in Property Law, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Harry R. Rose Criminal Law Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Ivan Cleveland Rand Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | McCarthy Tétrault LLP Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2016 | Roland J. Rolls ’58 Q.C. Prize, Osgoode Hall Law School
- 2015 | Gold Medal, University of Ottawa
- 2015 | Second Place in the Faculty of Social Sciences Writing Contest, University of Ottawa
- 2014 | Third Place in the Faculty of Social Sciences Writing Contest, University of Ottawa
- Eric Tucker, Christopher Grisdale and Abdalla Barqawi, “Dismissal Due to Business Reasons in Canada,” 1 Comparative Labor Law Dossier, 2018.
- Eric Tucker and Abdalla Barqawi, “Labour Effects of Corporate Groups in Canada,” 3 Comparative Labour Law Dossier, 2017.
- Abdalla Barqawi, “The Accessibility of the LSAT: A Response to Dean Sossin and Dean Holloway,” Slaw – Canada’s Online Legal Magazine, 2017. Available at: https://www.slaw.ca/2017/05/23/the-accessibility-of-the-lsat-a-response-to-dean-sossin-and-dean-holloway/
- CTV, “Taxi drivers hope for justice as court case over ridesharing in Ottawa begins”, January 3, 2023. Read and watch here.
- CFRA, The Morning Rush – Abdalla Barqawi Interview, “Taxi industry’s $215 million lawsuit against City of Ottawa heads to Court”, January 3, 2023. Listen here.
- CBC, “Taxi industry's $215M lawsuit against city finally about to be heard”, December 30, 2022. Read here.